The Delaware State FFA convention is off and running! Did you know that Delaware was the first of the 13 original states to ratify the United States Constitution? And, they have a strong agriculture industry too!
Here are a few facts about agriculture in Delaware:
- The top 5 agricultural commodities in 2008 were: broiler/meat chickens, corn, soybeans, wheat, and dairy products.
- Corn is Delaware’s number one crop, it is grown on 2/5 of the cultivated land; soybeans are second.
- Apples are Delaware’s leading fruit crop.
- Broilers are Delaware’s most valuable farm product.
- Livestock and related products account for 70 percent of Delaware’s farm income.
- Southwestern Delaware raises the most pigs.
- The value of farm sales topped $1 billion dollars in 2008.