The Missouri FFA Convention starts today. We know you’ll all learn a lot, make tons of new friends and have a great time!
Here are some interesting facts about agriculture in The Show Me State:
- Corn, soybeans, cattle and calves, hogs, and turkeys are Missouri’s top crops.
- Missouri ranked nationally 5th in rice, 6th in soybeans and cotton, 8th in grain sorghum and 9th in corn production in 2009.
- Cotton and rice are grown in South East Missouri.
- Missouri produces a variety of fruits, vegetables and specialty crops.
- According to the 2007 Census of Agriculture, 47 percent of Missouri’s total agricultural receipts came from crops.
- Livestock production accounted for 53 percent of the state’s agricultural receipts.
- According to the 2007 Census of Agriculture
- Missouri ranks 2nd in number of farms.
– Missouri had $7.51 billion value of agricultural products sold.
– Missouri ranks 14th in total value of agricultural products sold.
– Missouri ranks 15th in farm exports.
- Farmland accounts for 66 percent of the state’s total land use.